The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins -Gillman - IN THE TEXTBOOK
"The Story of An Hour" by Kate Chopin- POSTED ON THE RIGHT OF THIS BLOG
"The Storm" by Kate Chopin- POSTED ON THIS BLOG _ LOOK TO THE RIGHT
Please read the selections and follow the assignment below in order to Prepare for My Intro Lecture on the 27th and Mini Fishbowls on the 27th and 29th!
Here is MY INTRO LECTURE!!!!!! Just in Case you want to print it out and have it ahead of time! I will present it on the 27th.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-oPG8xeJv2dTzhlSElZYWJOODA/view?usp=sharing
DUE ON Tuesday March 27th
2. Read the following information about the "Rest Cure". You might want to do a bit of research on Women and Hysteria.
http://www.hsl.virginia.edu/historical/reflections/fall2008/rest.html
3. Read about Weir Mitchell and the Rest Cure in Perkins-Gillman's "The Yellow Wallpaper"
http://www.branchcollective.org/?ps_articles=anne-stiles-the-rest-cure-1873-1925
4. Why I wrote "TheYellow Wallpaper" by Perkins Gillman
http://csivc.csi.cuny.edu/history/files/lavender/whyyw.html
NOTE: We will go into mini fishbowls in class beginning March 27th. The group work will be followed by a lecture on both Perkins- Gillman and themes presented in "The Yellow Wallpaper:" This will tie into our oppression theme that will permeate our short story unit.
We will see oppression in many forms reflected in subsequent works such as in Hemingway's "Hills Like White Elephants" , " Julia Alvarez's White Woman of Color" and Dandicat's "Children of The Sea".
In addition, I plan to incorporate an excerpt from "The Feminine Mystique" in Friedan's essay titled "The Problem That Has No Name" Published in 1963 and Black Boy by Richard Wright published in 1945.
Have A Spectacular WEEK !!!!! I wish you all a SAFE AND HAPPY Spring Break!!! Spring is on the Horizon!SIDE NOTE: I WILL Give my students an option to read "A&P" by John Updike in addition to the above selections! "A&P" is in the text! Please follow up with me on the 27th should you choose to read "A&P". I will create a mini fishbowl for people who may be interested in the story.
REMEMBER YOU CAN READ UPDIKE'S STORY! HOWEVER, IT HAS TO BE IN ADDITION TO PERKINS-GILLMAN AND CHOPIN.
No comments:
Post a Comment