Tuesday, October 2, 2012

"Streetcar" by Williams DUE 10/4

1. Watch the video trailer for " Streetcar" to the left of this blog.
Note: This is when Marlon Brando won for best picture in 1951. Vivian Leigh is another well-renowned actress best known for " Gone With The Wind". ENJOY!!!!  I may or may not show film clips in class. It does depend on time.




3. Read Scene ONE and be prepared to respond verbally in class on Thursday.


4. Respond to ONE of the following situations in 2 paragraphs; be sure to put yourself in the situation.

Situation #1- You have just arrived for a visit at your sisters house. This is the first time you have seen her home and encountered her husband. You are trying to be polite and hide your feelings but the house is shabby and you do not like her husband. To what extent are you able to keep your feelings hidden from your them?

Situation #2 - You have expected the arrival of your sister, but you failed to inform your husband. You are happy to see her but nervous at the same time. Why didn't you tell your husband? Are you afraid they won't get along? How will  you bridge the gap between them? How would you feel keeping the pregnancy a secret?

Situation #3 - Your sister in law, whom you have never met, has arrived unexpectedly. You sense that she does not approve of you. How do you feel about her unannounced visit? How does her disapproval of you affect your feelings towards her? How do  you feel about your wife's obvious joy at seeing her sister?  Will you try to be courteous or will you let her know how you feel?



10 comments:

  1. Response #3)
    If I were to have a sister in Law who showed up unexpectedly, I would have no problem making her feel welcome in my house. If my wife were to talk about her sister all the time, I think I would be curious to finally meet her. I would probably be just as excited to meet the sister in law that my wife has been talking about so much. The sister in law’s disapproval of me would probably affect my feeling towards her. I don’t know how I would react to having a feeling that my sister in law does not approve of me.
    I don’t think that I would be angry with my wife being overjoyed in seeing her sister. If I were to sense any feeling of negativity toward me from the sister in law, before talking directly to the sister in law, I would talk to my wife about what I am feeling about her sister. Secondly, I would try to get to know the sister in Law so that maybe she can possibly see something positive in me. Although the sister in law is a guess in our house I would show respect towards her because it is my wife’s side of the family regardless is she likes me or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope that my first visit to my sisters home would not be my first time meeting her husband. If that were the case, however, and I found that I did not like her home or husband, the reasons why would play a huge role in my ability to keep quiet about my feelings.

    If I did not like my brother in law because I simply felt that he was rude, a slob, or had a bad attitude and yet still treated my sister with respect, love and affection I would keep my feelings to myself. If I disliked my brother in law because I felt he was disrespectful, abusive, or taking advantage of my sister I would have to speak up. Overall my sisters happiness and well being is most important to me. Regarding the shabby home, to each their own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Response #1

    Whenever you interact with people you must leave a space open for understanding. As we journey through life, many of us will meet plenty of people who we do not get along with. Using the situation granted, I feel as though I would have a reserved approach rather then going in and causing chaos.
    The first thing you have to ask yourself is, is it my place to speak my mind? Many relationships tend to crumble at the hands of those who cannot control their opinions. There is a time and place for everything. If my sister married a guy and was happy and content, then who am I to stop her from living the life she chooses? I give everyone the benefit of the doubt. I choose to go into meeting people with an open mind. I have always been quiet by nature. Those who learn the most in life are the ones who listen. Some people feel as if their voice is the only thing to be heard. How can one learn what goes on around them if they are too busy listening to their own voice? I would listen to what my sister and her husband have to tell me. I do not have to like someone in order to show them respect. It is common courtesy. Therefore, I would not crucify their relationship based on my concerns. I would suppress my feelings and let them enjoy each other, as they so rightfully deserve. The only time I would stand up and voice my opinions is if the relationship was in a dangerous place. If my sister’s husband were abusive I would feel absolutely compelled to act upon my moral code. But as long as he treats her with respect, I will have nothing to say.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In my life, family is everything.  If I had arrived at my sister's home and did not approve of the environment or her husband, I would try my best to keep my opinions to myself. If she is happy, than there really is nothing that I can say or do.  There is of course a limit to how much I can keep in, but not everything has to be critiqued.
    If the situation with her husband was that he was abusive towards her and that is the reason why I do not care for him, than that of course would have to be vocalized.  If the environment she was living in was causing her or anyone else physical demise, than that as well would have to be spoken about.  But again, if she is happy and healthy living a productive and successful life, than there really is nothing that can be said.  As long as my sister is happy, I am happy as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Response Question 1
    Having two sisters who are you’re best friends, put me in more of a predicament while thinking about this response. Do you talk to them as a friend, or family? Personally, I am not the type of person to critique someone’s home or the person who they care about most. I feel as though if someone is happy, especially family, why cause drama and get involved in their relationships?
    In my opinion, going into someone’s home, judging them on their furnishings, and then stating your opinion on their husband is rude and insulting. However, as a sister to a sister, I would offer advice and try to do what’s best in the situation. Not liking my future brother-in-law is my problem; not my sister's. I would try to keep all opinions and judgments to myself before consulting my sister,if need be. I could never be the cause of my sister’s unhappiness or the fall of her marriage for the sake of my own selfishness. I believe that there is an extent to every situation, and keeping below the radar is definitely the route I would take.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Having a good relationship with your spouse’s family is advantageous to your relationship. Before you came along as a significant other, your spouse had family and there will continue to be emotional family ties, as family in most instances is liken to a root in most individual’s life. It is a sad fact that you have never met the family of your wife, because marring her makes what is her yours, in that her family now becomes yours, your in laws. Subsequently not only should a relationship be built with your wife but with your wife’s family. However there should be respect in making me aware that there will be a visit by my sister in-law, especially when the circumstance is that she is not only showing up to stop by, but showing up to stay.
    Being in love with someone, you will inevitably despise persons that will try to change your spouse’s view of you as this could in turn change the dynamic of the love she has for you. Being of a different culture and having different values and just being unlike what you are used to, does not give you the right to right off the bat disapprove of me. You should be open minded and try to see past the differences of culture etc. and see who I really am, rather than being tunnel versioned and expressing negativity toward me from the start. This will only cause my defenses to go up hence our relationship will be stifled from positive growth from the outset. When you feel attacked, sometimes the worst thing to do is let it continue without saying anything. Bringing your point across and letting her know that you feel disrespected and you do not like the direction in which your just commenced relationship is headed might cause a turnaround in behavior for the better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As the oldest of 3 siblings, I view it as my utter most duty to protect and set the standards for my two younger sisters; in response to situation one, I would be furious if my sister got married and I was meeting her husband for the first time, let alone disliking him and their home. At first I would try my best to contain my feelings towards the individual, and get to know him a little more before I pass judgment. However, if her husband turned out to be repulsive in nature or lacking of character I would approach my sister with indignation. In contrast, if it's just me being over protective I would just scold my sister about not introducing me to him prior to their wedding.
    Even in complete disgust, I would not verbally comment on the condition of their home, since everyone has their own vision of what a home should look like, although, I must say that my facial expression and body language would give away my discontent. In conclusion, I would never jeopardize my sister’s trust by confronting her spouse without approaching her first, that is of course, unless she was in danger or being hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have just arrived for a visit at your sisters house. This is the first time you have seen her home and encountered her husband. You are trying to be polite and hide your feelings but the house is shabby and you do not like her husband. To what extent are you able to keep your feelings hidden from your them?

    I would be as polite as possible unless he were to say something to me that would be offensive of something like a putdown. The key to getting along with someone would be to walk in their shoes, therefore, imagining yourself in a shabbier place than your own as well as trying to "become" that person. If it was my sister (even if i don't have any siblings), I would be happy for her, even if i didn't really like the guy, I would still support her choice unless there was something really wrong going on between them, for example, he's cheating on her or verbally and/or physically abuses her.

    In accordance to my sister being a part of my family, I would not doubt her choice for a second. If she was not making as much money as she would like or her new husband was not doing what he is supposed to, then maybe I would get a little aggravated. If I was to ever lash out about either her new home or new spouse, I might as well just cut myself out of the family since I think that I would lose not only her and her husband's trust, but the rest of my family's as well.

    ReplyDelete